了不起的盖茨比(尼克拒绝乔丹)

at 1年前  ca 了不起的盖茨比英文原文  pv 1013  by FOR  

导读:尼克震惊地发现,整个夏天都使他着迷的乔丹贝克,并不如他所想象的那样,她不仅冷淡超然,更是冷漠自私。乔丹真的不在乎其他人,她真的可以对别人的遭遇无动于衷,她只专注于尼克是否正确对待她。

    Up in the city, I tried for a while to list the quotations on an interminable amount of stock, then I fell asleep in my swivel-chair. Just before noon the phone woke me, and I started up with sweat breaking out on my forehead. It was Jordan Baker; she often called me up at this hour because the uncertainty of her own movements between hotels and clubs and private houses made her hard to find in any other way. Usually her voice came over the wire as something fresh and cool, as if a divot from a green golf-links had come sailing in at the office window, but this morning it seemed harsh and dry.

Divot: (打高尔夫球等时不小心)削起的小块草皮和泥土。

   进城之后,我勉强对着不计其数的股票列了一串行情单,然后在转椅上睡着了。快到中午时,一个电话把我吵醒,我吃了一惊,一头冷汗地坐了起来。是乔丹·贝克。她时常在这个钟点打电话给我,因为她总是出入在酒店、俱乐部和私人豪宅,行踪不定,用别的方式也很难找到她。她的声音总是清新爽朗得像是在碧草如茵的高尔夫球场上,被球击飞进办公室窗户的草皮,今早却听着刺耳又干涩。

  

  “I’ve left Daisy’s house,” she said. “I’m at Hempstead, and I’m going down to Southampton this afternoon.”

    "我离开了黛西的家,"她说,"我现在在亨普斯特德,今天下午就去南安普顿。"

亨普斯特德,美国纽约州拿骚县的三镇之一,位于长岛西半岛。南安普顿,英国主要港口之一,位于英格兰东南区域汉普郡,以港口贸易和轮船制造而闻名。

  Probably it had been tactful to leave Daisy’s house, but the act annoyed me, and her next remark made me rigid.

    她离开黛西家算得上是明智的,但是她的做法却恼怒了我。接着她下一句话更叫我气得发僵。

  “You weren’t so nice to me last night.”

    "昨晚你对我可不友好。"

  “How could it have mattered then?”

     "在那种情况下有什么关系呢?"

   Silence for a moment. Then:

    片刻的沉默。然后:

  “However—I want to see you.”

    "不管怎样吧……我想见你。"

  “I want to see you, too.”

    "我也想见你。"

  “Suppose I don’t go to Southampton, and come into town this afternoon?”

     "那么我就不去索斯安普敦了,我下午来城里好吗?"

  “No—I don’t think this afternoon.”

    "不了……我想今天下午不行。"

    “very well”  

    “好吧!”

 “It’s impossible this afternoon. Various——”

     "今天下午实在不行。各种……"

    We talked like that for a while, and then abruptly we weren’t talking any longer. I don’t know which of us hung up with a sharp click, but I know I didn’t care. I couldn’t have talked to her across a tea-table that day if I never talked to her again in this world.

   我们就这样聊了一会,后来突然间彼此都不再言语。我不知道是谁先挂了电话,但我知道我毫不在乎了。我那天不可能跟她在茶桌上面对面聊天,哪怕她从此永远不跟我讲话。




已有0条评论
外国经典网部分资料来源于网络,如果侵犯您的权益 ,请与我们联系,邮箱:wyzwylb@qq.com
皖ICP备2021015637号-1

皖公网安备 34011102001510号

Powered By Z-BlogPHP 1.7.2